Tuesday, March 13, 2007

On Amelie, mostly

I didn't like Amelie. I don't know anyone else who didn't. I'll try to explain why I didn't.
Firstly, the movie is very, very heavy on narration. Now, apart from the obvious difficulty of watching a movie that you have to understand through subtitles, it somehow becomes worse when the (first half of the) movie is mostly visuals with a voiceover. There was so much of voiceover that I often missed enjoying the visuals themselves and almost felt like I was reading the script at some points.
Secondly, I believe films that make heavy use of narration as a device to take the story forward are somehow taking an easy way out. Films, like plays, are not meant to have narrations. There are characters in the films that should be used such that the story moves forward through them. The best example I can think of is the play Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller. This is a play that has (I think) no narration at all and is yet profoundly moving. Contrast this with another celebrated play I read in a course a year ago called Antigone by Jean Anouilh. This play gave maximum speaking time to its narrator. While Death... and Antigone were both heavy on dialogues, the former had short dialogues that never lasted for more than a couple of minutes and the latter had the narrator speaking for ten minutes or more. I realize Art cannot be tied down by laying down strict formats but I also think allowing characters long soliloquies makes it much easier for the playwright than if he/she involved many characters in taking the plot forward. I think this is somewhat analogous to a filmmaker who choreographs a beautiful song and dance in his film as visual spectacle versus one who uses the song to take the story forward (and no, not by conveniently making the hero a stage performer).
I like Amelie's OST though, especially the one song I keep listening to (La valse d'Amelie). I find it slightly sad and touching in a poignant sort of way, although most people find it happy music. But then most people also like the film.
My third reason for not having liked the film is that I just find Audrey Tatou's permanently wide-eyed look stupid and I feel diabetic because of all the sweetness in her chracter. I like sweet movies too (Love, Actually - although a woman, and a filmmaker no less, claims it is misogynistic) but there was something that irritated me about this one.
-------
Please read The Kite Runner if you haven't already. After a long, long time, I found a book I totally loved from my heart without getting mixed up in how well regarded it was and a book I finished in half a day because I could genuinely not put it down. This is a book that is, for once, as touching as its blurbs promise. It squeezed tears from my eyes at least a couple of times.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

.

13/3/07 4:34 PM

 
Blogger D said...

I liked Amelie. In fact, I absolutely adored it.
Strangely, I liked it for pretty much the same reasons why you didn't. For me the narration was everything - maybe it was because of the fact that I could understand parts of it now and then. But sometimes the narrations described the entire scene and characters in a way dialogues couldn't have (like the scene in the restaurant, the narrator describes what so-and-so likes and what turns so-and-so off) gave me a feeling of being a lot more immersed in the movie.

And you have to hand it to the soundtracks - they're all used in just the right places, and put just the right moods in mind - La valse d'Amelie is great, and there's another one called L'apres-midi... its the one that plays when Amelie's skipping stones along the canal... you've got to listen to this one as well.

I don't think you can generalize by saying films and plays aren't meant to have narrations, I guess its how they're used. Quoting Bill Watterson "You shouldn't judge art by its medium, art is just art". I thought Amelie used narration very nicely, but then again, its a personal opinion.

PS: Blogspot sucks
PPS: How many times do I have to do the word verification thing anyway?

14/3/07 5:19 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[anon] . to you too.

[vivek] What a pleasure to read a long, thoughtful comment!
I absolutely second Bill Watterson. I never meant to lay down rules for plays/movies. That would be stupic when it comes to Art.
I approached it from a different perspective: here is a movie and these are the plays I didn't like and these are the ones I did, so these may be the possible reasons. Pattern matching leading to generalizations.
And, yes, blogspot does suck. In spite of owning this blog, I have to enter word verification between two and four times, most times.

14/3/07 8:36 PM

 
Blogger Captain Subtext said...

I am one of those who liked Amelie, and probably for the same reasons that you hated it.

You read The Kite Runner now! More than one year after I recommended it on my previous blog! Damn! I used to flatter myself with the thought that I influence the reading habits of people.

15/3/07 12:54 AM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[captain subtext] Well, you did, and I remember your recommendations - The Hours, for example. The opportunity to read The Kite Runner presented itself only now. I'm looking forward to The Hours whenever that happens. Ulysses, I'm afraid, I'm probably never going to attampt. A Portrait of the Artist... was unreadable. In fact, I gave up midway through To the Lighthouse as well, so perhaps it's just the style I can't take to.erclearly.blogspot.com

15/3/07 6:00 AM

 
Blogger thelostcause said...

I remember how long and how patiently I'd waited to watch Dil Se, it's turning out to be the same with The Kite Runner!

16/3/07 12:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers