Sunday, February 04, 2007

Knee-jerk reactions

I'm almost through what has turned out to be the worst weekend I've had in a really long time. I feel guilty when I say such things because I know there are people who don't have food, clothing, shelter, money, all their limbs and digits and my problems pale in comparison. What's more, the reasons why this weekend has turned to ash are, in the larger scheme of things, rather trivial. Essentially, I lost two debates and two quizzes in the space of 36 hours closely but comprehensively and that is all there is to it. However, I am affected by this in a much greater way than I usually am.
It's all probably pretty juvenile but then I'm tired of always being (in my judgment) reasonable. I want to be juvenile and politically incorrect and tell people I'm pissed with them and no, I cannot see how it is not their fault and I don't care.
I also want to tell some people I'm right and that's all there is to the matter. I try to use logic to explain my convictions but I realize now it's a bad idea. A good debater can quite easily pick holes in any logical defense I can provide to support my convictions. The only way to build and keep strong convictions is to believe they are right, reason be damned. You have to know some things are right and some things are wrong and not open yourself to interrogation every time you use your moral judgment.
Shivam and I, partners in grief, walked like schoolboys furious after losing a cricket match during lunch break and talked about life, women, parents, the middle class, values and money. A lot of what we said was stupid but we said them anyway because we're both too safe too often and both of us felt great at feeling something big and common. Some of what we said, however, still makes some sense to me. Perhaps I will outgrow all of this and become a vegetable who never loses reason. Yesterday I was happy to note I could still get angry. Today I'm even happier to report I can remain angry. I don't want the anger that I feel today, much of it unjustified and misdirected, to ever go away. I never want to not mind losing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tapasya said...

I staunchly believe that nothing's right/wrong. It is all relative and time-dependent. All statements are fuzzy to the core.

I think you need to learn to be tolerant to failures. Life isn't goody-goody always. And then, there'll always be a set of best people around you. No one's the bestest of all.

PS. I read your scrap, and I did expect a blog! Lol.
You can ignore Para #2 if you wish to.

4/2/07 10:07 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

That's the problem with us intellectuals. Everything's fuzzy to us. :)
I know no one can be great at everything but there's a hypercompetitive child inside me who doesn't listen. In fact, the child sometimes takes over me and then I turn into a cannibal thirsting for blood.
You are reading me too well, I'm afraid. I'll try to be unpredictable in future :). And I find it impossible to ignore comments on my blog, but you know that :).

5/2/07 4:59 PM

 
Blogger Vik said...

I thought Robert Frust had reached a state where nothing could frustrate/fascinate him enough to write a blog!

can I gauge the height of your frustration by the fact that this is the first time since ages when you are writing your 'self' here?

5/2/07 8:10 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[the introvert] Things continue to fascinate/frustrate me. Most, however, are unbloggable. This happened not to be unpublishable, hence the post:).

7/2/07 9:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers