Friday, February 23, 2007

A BSP reject

I know that this poem can scarcely
Offer tribute to the great watering hole of our times
Where all these varied species congregate
As they do in my rhyming lines:

Partially concealed from prying eyes
By cement columns of impressive girth
Lovey-dovey couples laugh and talk
And make plans (wink, wink) for ‘afterwards’.

The more pragmatic - who know the value of work
And, more importantly, the power of the ‘network’
Can often be found on the other side
Tapping experienced seniors for advice

While assorted wannabes prowl and watch
Out for popular people to engage
In conversation long enough
For others of their ilk to notice and rage

Those aspiring to be remembered awhile
Catch hold of juniors servile
Who in turn bask in the glory of ridicule
By the high and mighty in full public view

Hangers on and general slackers
Descend on the wind-t en masse
And lock each other in a psychological contest
Over who goes last for class

(They sometimes cheat at this show of strength
By never intending to attend at all
And yet acting as though they might
Therefore putting unfair pressure on others of their type)

Finally, people watchers like yours truly
Watch and observe and make mental notes
For the masterpiece they may some day write
That no Chetan Bhagat ever wrote

This poem is dedicated to all the conversations I’ve had over the years that have ended with the portentous words: “See you in the wind-t.”
It’s also dedicated to all the different kinds of people I’ve had these conversations with. I hope they forgive me any offense I might inadvertently cause them. If it’s any consolation I’ve been all of the above at some point or the other.

14 Comments:

Blogger vibhav said...

'Insightful' is the heaviest of all words that I thought of for this poem, but I would write only this, and specially because of the psychological contest thing.

23/2/07 9:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never be able to figure out why you fail to make regular appearances on the pages of CR.. on second thoughts, maybe I can but this comment space is hardly the right place for political incorectness.

24/2/07 2:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[v] 'Confusing' is the only word I can think of on reading and re-reading your comment. Please clarify :).

[shivam] I don't think I regularly write well or that this poem is very worthy but I'm sure I can find worse in CR. Anyway, it gives me a post for my blog. Posts are often hard to come by.

24/2/07 4:04 PM

 
Blogger Vik said...

the first paragraph is awesome (Though I admit that comparing different paragraphs of the same work is not a good idea, especially when every line is good.)

If BSP can reject this, it can reject anything. Wishing you would write a best-seller some day :)

24/2/07 4:32 PM

 
Blogger vibhav said...

Alright, the psychological contest was a good observation. ":)"

24/2/07 6:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[the introvert] BSP doesn't reject every good thing, to be fair. I remember the poem you wrote modelled on "If" which they published. It was brilliant!

[v] Thanks :).

24/2/07 6:41 PM

 
Blogger Pooja said...

objective yet biased... :)

24/2/07 7:54 PM

 
Blogger Vik said...

Wow! I won't talk about the quality of that poem; but the fact that YOU remember that is an honour. Thanks!

Well, I don't have any recent experiences of rejections (coz I haven't given anything even for consideration for a year), I really feel the IITians write much better than the quality of CRs suggests. I can't stand those "My first day in IIT" kinda articles we are slapped with, year after year. But some articles happen to be really good too.

24/2/07 10:24 PM

 
Blogger Tapasya said...

I couldn't relate to the post much. Yet, I have noted a few phrases in the context of the line that marks the end of the post (for future reference, and for general knowledge, lol). They seem to reveal a lot I guess.

(1)make plans (wink, wink) for ‘afterwards’
(2)prowl and watch out for popular people to engage
(3)aspiring to be remembered awhile
(4)lock each other in a psychological contest
(5)sometimes cheat at this show of strength

24/2/07 11:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[pooja] Painfully objective and unbiased, imo.

[the introvert] You're welcome. I agree that IITiand write a lot better than the CRs would suggest. Also with your views on the typical articles. In fact, I can't think of anything to say in agreement except a paraphrasing of what you've said perfectly.

[tapasya] I lied when I said I have been "all of the above". In fact, I've never had the opportunity to be some of these people, which is a good thing.

24/2/07 11:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!
I was sort of having second thoughts about whether I wanted to come to Delhi before internship or not. Reading this somehow convinced me that I do.

26/2/07 1:26 AM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[arnav] Thanks, if the 'Bravo!' is for the poem! Again, am slightly confused - are you missing the wind-t or the junta? Personally, I hate the wind-t and the creatures that infest it and avoid it as much as possible, unless I'm feeling really great :).

26/2/07 9:44 AM

 
Blogger quagmire said...

Damn I posted a comment on this poem on some other post. Damn Damn Damn.

it'll take too long to look for it and delete it so chuck it. Finally a flaw with tabbed browsing!

21/3/07 1:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wind-T has to bear the load of hundreds of people who walk, stand and sleep over her. But what we see around is only the tip of the iceberg. The rest of it...you have summed it up perfectly in your poem. The reason it does not get selected in the CR is probably because it tells the truth.

Calling you the next "Chetan Bhagat" is an insult to you, the next "Robert Frost" maybe...sounds right :)

29/3/07 5:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers