Friday, September 29, 2006

In which I'm unable to do a David Bowie

We passed upon the stairs
I warned him to jump
The step that wasn't there
He looked into my eyes
And I flinched from his stare

I never quite knew
Which eye I should look into
When making "eye contact"
And I remember thinking
His smile never did reach his eyes -

I don't know what that means either,
But the skin crinkled in all the right places
Crow's feet and front teeth
Upturned smile and all the right lines
But the warmth in those brown eyes,
That looked black when
The light didn't catch them,
Was missing

I knew he wouldn't tell me
So I never asked
And we just went our separate ways
And never took off our masks

6 Comments:

Blogger Tapasya said...

I never quite knew
Which eye I should look into
When making "eye contact"


Quite thought provoking. Some good poetry again.

29/9/06 9:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

written in the true spirit of original poetry(i hope it makes sense,too sleepy)
extremely well written n beautifullly expressed.
great to have u back!

30/9/06 1:25 AM

 
Blogger Siddhartha Banerjee said...

Nice stuff man! You finding voice and all...
Seriously this is really fair stuff. I love the sound of some of the lines. Sudden quantum leap in your poetry and all! One wonders why...

30/9/06 5:03 AM

 
Blogger DJK said...

I love your poetry, but I'd love to know your muse. :)

30/9/06 10:43 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[tapasya, bofi] Thanks.

[anonymous] Anon, you can comment as "Other". Why remain hidden?

[djk] No muse, sadly. :(

1/10/06 1:03 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

i like the last lines...good job mr. poet

2/10/06 12:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers