Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Ghost That Walked

I have a lot of time and nothing important to do. I'm done with my work and am officially on vacation, starting now.
To celebrate the beginning of my holiday, I'm listening to fabulous music that I've downloaded from the Net, and have actually taken off my shoes and put my feet up on the desk. It's a wonderful feeling. Try it sometime.

I'm confused about my motivation for blogging. I've been blogging since January 2005, so that's proof I don't blog because everyone else does. Fact is, many others started blogging well after I did.

When I first started blogging, I wanted a place to publish my amateur poetry and publish occasional articles on. I wanted a place that gave some meaning to the stuff that I wrote from time to time and the things I wanted to write. I used to write these poems on the back pages of my notebooks during boring classes and it seemed like a waste to see them lost after the class ended. Were they no more than mere reliefs from tedium for me? I was not motivated by a need to share my thought process with the world. I simply thought it a waste of all the interesting things I did, said, wrote now and then if they were to be lost each time their immediate purpose had been achieved. There were several times when I thought of something and told myself it would make for an interesting anecdote in the novel I would never write. Sometimes interesting things happened. I got locked out of my room at 1 am in the night. I had my battles with technology and with IIT, and I usually ended on the losing side. These weren't without their funny side. And I could see the funny side of having to pound my hostel door for two hours to get into my room, or of being repeatedly cut off from the Internet in the middle of interesting chats with friends. Writing about the lighter aspects of certain otherwise painful experiences (it is NOT fun to have to break open your hostel door at night for example, and I've done it twice) was a way of getting the poison out of my system. Sometimes I felt strongly enough about certain issues to pontificate, such as my views on rhyme in poetry. I realize now and I knew then that my views were immature and vague, but I felt strongly all the same!

I blogged when I felt like blogging and about what I wanted. I experimented a bit and wrote posts on Raveena Tandon's rain dance and poems on suicide, on my future as I saw it and on life in IIT. My blog was a place I went to when I wanted to say something and didn't know who to say it too or even who would understand what I wanted to say. The comments were a bonus.

Lately, however, I have started feeling the weight of my blog. Instead of the blog waiting patiently for my wanting to write something, I find myself worrying sometimes that I haven't updated for a long time. I'm not afraid of losing audience. I'm not afraid of the comments drying up either although I often joke about that. Sure, new comments feel nice but comments are secondary to whether I feel happy about my blog or not.

Moreover, I find that increasingly I have nothing to write about on my blog. It's not like I don't say or think things anymore but a lot of what I think are things that I feel need not go on my blog. I no longer see the point of speaking my mind on many things on my blog. That reveals a lot about me and I don't want my blog to become a free peep-show to my emotional striptease. A lot of what I sometimes want desperately to say about love, life, friendships, the future, the past, the present, Life falls in the category marked “Personal”. Even if I don't have anyone to share gyan with I feel blogging about it would reveal more about myself to a careful or regular reader than I'm prepared to reveal. There are many things I don't want you to know about me, and a lot of what I earlier wrote would now qualify as no-go territory. My blog shouldn't be my best friend.

That is why I've taken to blogging about movies, books (I keep bunching books with movies, but do I ever blog about books? I think not.), casual experiences – neutral posts that are sometimes interesting but are not revelatory. These posts are harder to compose than ramblings on my life that I can write on autopilot but are just as much fun to write. I will continue to blog but the blog may follow its current course by continuing to be about movies I like and dislike (mostly dislike, they arouse greater passion), about books I read and books I have to abandon from time to time, about IIT, only occasionally straying into forbidden territory.
In other words, unlike this post.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

can sort of relate to it.that's one reason i cud never get myself to blog.i write a diary though..
really admired u for ur ability to express urself like that..
n its ok..
but never stop writing-for urself..
u have a gift!keep up the good work..is been great readin ur stuff.thank-you..

14/7/06 12:46 AM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

You know that won;t be half the fun:(, but, still it's your take...
people like me will surely be bored BY epic reviews of movies I never plan to watch anyways, but then I think I know you enough already, so tha the day I write my book on intersting types of people, You'd be there in for sure! B-)

Jokes apart, the purpose and meaning of a blog varies for everyone, and while some blogs are meant to be extremely personal only, some are just for neutral, public displays of the intellect, that may or may not exist! Like my blog, the one everypne knows of, is called a public diary, such that the name itself becomes an oxymoron, but then, I write a huge variety of things without thinking too much. Literary, daily ravings, or things I feel strongly about. It does give an insight into my mind and mood to the careful reader so much that I even have people who have never met me but know me well enough to eventually become friends solely through the blog. (At least a couple of guys swore they fell in love with me after reading the blog for a few months, so howzzat for "interesting"!:P)
But then, I draw a line somewhere, and so do you. Perfectly fair and fine.

Just one request, keep the poetry and articles types flowing please. At least!

P.S. Now, if you crib about this long comment, I swear I'd never coment agaian here! B-) :P

14/7/06 9:07 AM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[faith] You're welcome. :)

[phoenix] It will be more fun for me but it might not be as much fun for potential voyeurs. :) In fact, my point about not revealing too much is adequately illustrated by your claim that "you know me well enough already". :|
Do I detect a suggestion of vanity in your description of your blog, the one everyone knows of?
Speaking of which, most people I know know one of your two anonymous blogs and some even know about both (I think), maybe it's time I was inroduced to the less scandalous of the two. After all, we both know reading "personal" blogs is so much more fun.
Lastly, out of the "couple of guys" you mentioned was any one of them known to me? :D

14/7/06 11:12 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting ..hmmm!

must say I lost some audience as my blog got outrageously personal at times ..but wat d heck ..I think the pleasure is in immortalising our thoughts ..u've been a veteran blogger ..comments should technically not bother u anymore ..since there will always b people who'll read u ..and like it cuz they know u from close quarters (and a lot more who'll read and not comment!).

what's the funda in choking urself out on the weird concept of "should-not-reveal-much-on-my-blog"!
urs is indeed a personal blog ..or lets say its majorly personal stuff ..plus I think u undoubtedly fetch more gossip wen u write abt urself ..rather than the escape mechanism involving writing on books, movies etc ..

bindaas likh yaar ..u do it so well ..jyada mat soch ..jus keep writing ..and damn the undertides ..u have a committed reader in me anyway :)

***hugs*** :D

14/7/06 12:00 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[grain saint] Control, yaar! :) Take it easy with the PDA dude. :D

14/7/06 1:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ RF

bhavnao ko samajh yaar ..censorship ki chinta mat kar ..and neway, v ain't bisexuals! :D :P

14/7/06 1:23 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

You know what, you're only doing a disservice to the community of voyeurs, when I think that you yourself wouldn't mind so much to be a not-so-loud member of it!

Anyway, I know you well enough through many many more sources than your posts, and that includes load of observations and endless conversations. You can claim the same too.

And yes, it was meant to be vain:D:D:D:D
I was checking if you'd point that out!:P

And no, only four or five people know about one of my anonymous blogs where I write not so frequently, and only 2 ppl follow it. I dont mind giving it to you though u shdn;t expect much excitement there. not these days at least. Nobody knows about the really secret one, where I write all those posts I told you about:P And technically there are two more, but they are nearly defunct. :(

Of the two, you definitely don;t know one. The other....

14/7/06 2:58 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

But haven't you put your blog on the "personal" category on Indian bloggers?

14/7/06 3:21 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[phoenix] You never stop being cryptic and mysterious. I wouldn't dare to claim I know you well at all, although technically I've had just as many conversations and interactions with you as you've had with me, however weird that sounds.
I'm a seedha-sadha bachcha, and you are all smoke and mirrors. No contest there.:D

[renegade] Have I? I don't remember. I think I didn't find a suitable label that encapsulated my blog's nature.

14/7/06 9:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wise move

It does not matter how much you try to hide the details of a personal post, the subject of said post will always see themselves there. Its hurtful, but moreover, it is destructive to the relationship. It creates distance, not intimacy. If your not into creating intimate relationships, then by all means, continue to post your personal life to a wider audience, other than the one it should be directed to.

15/7/06 6:41 AM

 
Blogger Tapasya said...

Blogs are different for different people. For some, blurting out all their heart aches on paper might give them relief, while others may not feel as comfortable to let out their personal selves to a public space. These feelings, however, are not constant. There have been times when I thought I belonged to the former category, and times when I belonged to the latter. Its all dynamic and variable. There are things you should not put down on paper, true. For a few statements of yours may lead to battles (be it with your friends or your institution), causing pain to a larger set of people.
At times, however, I feel the need of someone whom I can talk to about anything and everything. someone who has the knowledge of every thought running through my mind, someone who likes my thinking despite all the public embarassments and goof-ups I have been a part of, someone who can understand my cynicism and appreciate it... And then I wonder, is this what a blog space is meant for? Can personifying your own page help?

15/7/06 12:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i guess u have really hit the nail right on the head with this post...there have been many times when i felt like posting something personal on my blog but havent done it as yet, so i guess i have mixed feelings abt my blog
as i said before, ur previous blog was a lot more interesting...so at least keep the poetry coming
n keep blogging

19/7/06 2:49 PM

 
Blogger DJK said...

This is an extensin of the discussion we had, yes? I have a snap of you on my phone. The one that Tina took. If I figure out how to transfer it to my PC I promise to mail it to you.

20/7/06 12:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose this is the response to my comment which was deleted by the pilot of the blog himself.

Thanks for answering my question. i will keep on visiting, no matter what you write and keep on commenting no matter how much you hate it.

Like a true fan!

20/7/06 11:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have more to add to what I said.
I loved Bhoot not because he wrote great poetry, but because he gave words to what I felt. He had the courage to share himself beyond the realms of safty, courage to expose himself.

Now he has become older and wiser too. He writes for himself and not the fat lady who watches over him every moment.

I wish him all the best.

21/7/06 3:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

His life is his own Anon. And making that decision did not lack courage, especially in the face of criticism like yours.

But dont worry that his life will no longer satisfy some of your needs, you will always have Bhoot

21/7/06 4:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back to your blog after a long time. You do a darn good job of making people like me envious of your "vellaness". I mean UBS has done a fairly decent job taking us to boat trips and adventure sports but its been hard work even if I do it in one of the smartest and tallest office buildings in the world. See you soon buddy. Hope the grand mufti of the campus intellectualatti has spare time for beasts of burden like yours truly.

23/7/06 4:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you do on days that you feel utterly full of your own words and thoughts? Why may you share thoughts that only match with those of others? What do you gain from comments that flatter? Where do you find beauty? Tu m'etonnes avec ceci!

26/7/06 12:11 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shifted to a room and then later got to know it belonged to u last sem..
Some days later (i.e. today only) I thought of blogging.. chose a template.. and later got to know that that is the same u used the last year.
Then found ur current blog.. and here i find a blogging-veteran's take on blogging and all.
And now I can say ur blog is going to be one reason for me to keep blogging.

29/7/06 11:23 PM

 
Anonymous fitness equipment said...

This is excellent! Keep it up. I will surely bookmark this page. Thank you for sharing!

24/3/12 8:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers