Monday, June 05, 2006

Heat and Dust

This is fucking unbelievable. I'm feeling very angry now. I wish I was The Incredible Hulk so I could throw something really BIG through the window out on the road and watch it smash into a million pieces. I was writing a review of Heat. Work was progressing slowly. Slowly but well. I was even researching a little bit and had opened Wikipedia for the factoid that I had found interesting in the morning. Here it is: "Val Kilmer states on the special edition DVD (in the making of featurette) that soldiers in the military are shown the bank robbery scene, with emphasis placed upon the scene where Kilmer's character fires on the police, performs a swift and smooth reload, and resumes firing. Supposedly they say something along the lines of, "If you can't change magazines as fast as this actor, get out of my army!"

I had begun the post with how happy I was that Blogger was loading now so I wouldn't have to try writing on Notepad which I didn't like because of compelling reasons A, B and C. I had written what must have been more than 250 words when I wanted to try being Nerdy Boy in spite of knowing zilch about hyperlinks and html code and shit, and I highlited a line and hit "Reload this frame only" without saving it first.

FUCK!

And now it's gone.

I was going to describe in loving detail the diner scene with Robert de Niro and Al Pacino, the two Godfathers of Hollywood and title contenders for Greatest Living Actor face off. This scene alone is worth watching the entire movie for, although the movie itself is quite watchable too. But this scene... the more I think of it, the more I am convinced that this was one of the best ways of doing this scene.

Let's say you are director Michael Mann. Let's say you have achieved the impossible - you have managed to get Al Pacino and Robert de Niro to play your two main characters in the movie. Regardless of the way your movie goes, regardless of the requirements of the script, regardless of the original screenplay and story and artistic vision, you just have to give us a scene in which Pacino and de Niro talk face to face, Michael against young Vito, One Great against Another.
The fist instinct is to harness the histrionic talents of both these giants by creating a scene of immense power and intensity. But if you are a good director, you'll probably realize that it's nearly impossible to create a scene good enough to satisfy movie fanatics who will surely line up to see the two giants slug it out.

So Mann, being a clever director, creates a scene that is the most successful anti-climax I have ever seen. He creates a scene that's light and cool in a movie that is consistently the opposite. The scene had to stand out, and stand out it does, by being a scene where the audience who've been waiting for it bite their nails in anticipation of all the things that can happen next but that rewards them by allowing nothing to happen, except talk.
But what talk! This is Hollywood meta at a whole new level. Pacino talks about his failed marriages, de Niro talks about "the woman in his life". Pacino asks de Niro why he does it, and de Niro asks Pacino the same. Pacino says they may never meet again, de Niro nods.

If you are a movie lover every scene involving both Robert de Niro and Al Pacino takes on a deeper meaning. While the now famous diner scene abounds in references to the real actors, the others don't always. All the same the last scene in which the Pacino clasps de Niro's hand resonates with a meaning to it that people who don't know who these two really are can never understand.

*****************

It seems I ended up writing something on the movie anyway. If you liked it, well, blame blogger for depriving you of the rest. If you hated it, you were spared a painful read, although why anyone who hated the above would have come far enough to read this line is beyond me. In fact, as a comment on the previous post explained, that was a fairly typical post and so is this. I must have filtered down to just those readers who like what I write, since I seem to be writing exclusively on movies these days.
Thank you for reading! Good night, and good luck.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, nice post...you're turning into quite an expert, aren't you?
I'm at home now, and my mood is quite the opposite...am enjoying the idyllic life here, and the net is surprisingly fast.

6/6/06 1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[arnav] Thanks.
Nice to know you are enjoying being at home. I haven't been home in a really long time and am missing it. :(

6/6/06 4:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one is for two purposes.
Firstly, no, your readers have not reduced to people who only like exclusive posts on movies even though those posts are sometimes nice for me because they help me find new movies to watch (when I can find them on the LAN or theatre).
Secondly, just delurking.

~Abhay

6/6/06 5:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sympathies.. but you must have been really bursting with words if you could write so many even after losing 250.. i would have banged my computer shut.

6/6/06 8:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its kinda fun to read how you battle with the computer, and more often than not, lose and forfeit most of your great post material...haven't seen the movie yet so skimmed that part...will try to watch it though...

and kevin spacey is good as luthor...

7/6/06 4:22 AM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

**copy paste the first part of vivek's comment..i mean it happens too often doesn't it?**

about the post, one thing for sure is ur 'opinions' make me wanna watch a movie(like this) or never ever see it in my life. so that's good help. i prefer it over iMDB actually:P

Typically you is also got to do a lot with your style of writing which I think is pretty cool and signature-RF, but then that's a personal opinion.

7/6/06 3:42 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[abhay] Thanks, comments from regular but unseen visitors always welcome.
How's life in MSR?

[shivam] I would've too, if I could.

[vivek] It's not great enough for you to skip potential spoiler sections. I took care to leave the spoilers out though.

[phoenix] *Takes a bow* :)

7/6/06 6:08 PM

 
Blogger Tapasya said...

Nice post (Would have never cared to read it in normal course though, lol). Are TOI guys paying you for reviewing hollywood movies these days?

7/6/06 8:41 PM

 
Blogger thelostcause said...

Nice point about the anticlimactic nature of the De Niro-Pacino scene, but somehow like many others, I think Mann managed to underutilize the resources he had, especially when it comes to deNiro's part.Almost half of his entire dialogue in the movie were at the table scene and the totally Hollywoodish ending was a real putoff.

*It's coming from someone who feasts on De Niro vs Pacino talks:)

8/6/06 10:46 PM

 
Blogger DJK said...

Did you like "Good Night & Good Luck." ?

11/6/06 3:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.. you have "in cold blood"?

12/6/06 7:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like u r turning into a regular movie critic!! Not that one minds, of course..

13/6/06 2:35 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[tapasya] Nope, but am thinking seriously of talking to TOI about it. I think Nikhat Kazmi (the TOI reviewer) isn't as good any way.

[thelostcause] The ending could've been better, I agree, though I can't think of a better alternavtive off hand. I think Mann's underutilization worked, because he couldn't have neaten the hype.

[djk] Haven't watched it, liked the trailer though. You?

[abhinav] Yes I do, but it's not mine. So I have it only for the summers.

[arpit] Yes it does. I find it the easiest to write about.

14/6/06 12:56 PM

 
Blogger DJK said...

I loved it. :) Maybe because I am a journalist at heart and there is some sense of romanticism about bringing down establishment.

14/6/06 10:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers