Sunday, January 22, 2006

Being Positive

I have rightly been accused of being cynical and negative about many things in life. A small experience yesterday brought home to me just what kind of a sad item people think I am. I can’t pretend not being secretly glad when I know people talk about me, but being talked about and being a subject of discussion and analysis are two slightly different things. The second smacks of being treated as a specimen, and that’s not an appetizing thought.

Anyway, I have decided to list out all the nice things I can think of about my various gripes.

My department (CS):

1) Fast internet access (through proxy), esp compared to aam junta that has no access at all.
2) Free afternoons, fewer classes, sometimes relaxed attention criteria, no labs.
3) A cool email account on my department server; it certainly beats the telnet email id. I can even have robertfrust@... unlike on telnet where I must be forever known by my number. It’s another matter that I haven’t set an alias yet, but the knowledge that I could is empowering.
4) Respect among people who look suitably impressed at the enormity of my burden when they realize I am in CS.
5) A bigger ftp account, but I neither need nor use it, but as in #3, it’s not what I do with it that counts. The power is in knowing I can.
6) Lastly, if I must have a low GPA, I might as well have it here where it is somewhat defensible.

On second thoughts, since I don’t want to extend this article beyond today, I’ll end with showing the silver lining to my pet gripe alone. Extending this to finding good things about Life etc will make this pretentious and fraudy.

PS: Among the several things that I come up with now and then, there’s one particularly cool thought, which also happens to fit this situation: Worse things happen to better people.
Now if only we could make that sink into our subconscious.

10 Comments:

Blogger mithrandir said...

Hey come on you have so many other things to be happy about.
1)You are in an IITD CS deptt-the creme de la creme of Indian society.
2)You can mention IIT graduate in ur marriage resume when the need arises:))
3)You have ppl talking abt ur cynical nature-which means u sufficiently intrigue ppl and thus attract atention around u-never a losing proposition.
4)You are one of the 10 ppl in IIT with position of power and an oppurtunity to stamp their authority
and personality on IIT system.
5)You may not like ur deptt but u have an oppurtunity to develop other facets of ur personality-ask the pplfrom other colleges who never got oppurtunities.
6)You cant deny that u have had all the options open before you-atleast you got the luxury of choice.

22/1/06 10:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You remind me of a chat I had with Medury (where you were the subject of discussion), and one thing that came up was that you elect to voice most of your gripes while others don't talk about it so much. I guess thats why you come across as so cynical, while you might be just as cynical as the next guy.

Cheer up, I'm sure not many people think of you as 'a sad item'.

22/1/06 11:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, in that last comment I meant you were being talked about, not the subject of 'analysis' as you put it in your post.

22/1/06 11:10 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[mithrandir] thanks, esp for the shaadi waala point. ;)

[vivek] this is a weird thing to say, but nice comment. what you say is probably true, others have said so as well, but I don't really care as long as I'm happy, which is now!

23/1/06 1:01 AM

 
Blogger thelostcause said...

Being labeled a cynic is the best recommendation a man can expect from the society.I guess you are on the perfectly right track.

23/1/06 10:23 AM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[thelostcause] That's a very cynical thing to say, TLC. I am trying to cross to the Good Side, and you're being the Dark Lord here.

23/1/06 2:23 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[the moghul] Of course, normal chhe! Very normal chhe, don't you worry. :)

23/1/06 5:47 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

it's so simple to be happy, but so difficult to be simple, and to keep it straight.
u r right..things are nt always so complex as we think they are.

we like to think that there's smthng missing inour lives all the times, while others may go on thinking that we r perfect and everything works fr us. they worry over this, we worry over tis thought beause we feel it's nt true.
and this goes on till occassionally we stop and yell to ourselves, shut up and be positive!

24/1/06 12:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Worse things happen to better people"

nice line :)

25/1/06 4:29 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[medury]thanks; i was wondering if anyone would ever notice. :)

25/1/06 5:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers