Saturday, December 03, 2005

Time shall fly...

Right now, I'm young. I can do anything.

I don't believe I can die. I'm not dense enough to believe I can't die, but Death is an interesting concept, no more. I am not conscious of my mortality.

It's thrilling to recognise the period of change for what it is. It's fascinating to see myself changing, growing.
There's such a sense of expectation in my life. The future lies ahead of me, unsullied, unexplored. And the greatest thing about the future is that it's all mine. I can't escape it. It won't leave me. I must move forward, and I am moving.

Everybody is, but I know I'm moving. I get a kick out of knowing that my life is clay in my hands. I can shape it whichever way I want.
I'm happy I'm awake while the wet clay is being fashioned into the brittle object it will become when it has been through the hearth that the world reserves for it.

Even when things are not going the way I've planned, I take pleasure in the fact that really, nothing's lost.
My world is rich in opportunities. I walk so many forked roads, I can't run out of paths to take. I know I'll make it. Even when the odds seem stacked against me, even when I feel low, the feeling never quite leaves me that my life will sort itself out.
Because so far, I have had no real problems.
Because so far, I've had no major disappointments.
Because so far, my self-confidence has not been shattered.
Because so far, I haven't lost.
Because nothing's behind me, and everything lies ahead.

My world is rich in possibilities. I have yet to decide what career to choose. I have yet to decide the direction my life should take. I don't know what I'll be doing ten years from now. I don't know who I'll be with. Or where.

But I get the feeling that ten years later, I'll have a pretty good idea what I'd be doing ten years later. And where. And with whom. And if I'm fortunate, why.

And there will come a time when I'll get up and realize, this is it.
This is the woman I am going to be married to for the rest of my life.
This is about how much I'll earn.
These are the things I'll be able to afford, and these are the ones I won't.
These will be the people I'll call friends from my youth.
This is my family, nuclear and extended.
No more kids to be born.
No more marriages to take place.
No more degrees to be collected.

I'll get up one day and realize I'll never go to Seychelles after all.
I'll never go to Goa with friends.
I'll never motorbike to Ladakh.
I'll never spend a fortnight doing absolutely nothing in the Andamans.
Actually, I might never spend a fortnight doing absolutely nothing. Ever.
I'll never have another summer holiday.
I'll never stop worrying.

There might come a time when I'll know with a pang, this is it.
My life's been decided.
And there'll be nothing I'd be able to do to change it.

And I'll stop wondering, and talking to myself, and writing personal diaries.
And I'll stop wishing for envy from people who marvel at my weirdness.
And I'll get on with the boring business of living.
And before I even know it, I'll become my parents.

And my kids will wonder whether I ever did anything. Maybe I was always like this.
And I'll not remember when I wasn't.

And if I should chance upon my laconic teenager's diary, and if I should give in to the temptation to read it, I'll find my thoughts, my fears, my hopes written in my handwriting in someone else's diary under someone else's name.

And I'll have turned old.

24 Comments:

Blogger N David said...

"Even when things are not going the way I've planned, I take pleasure in the fact that really, nothing's lost. "

There Will be things that you do not expect, there will be loses.. but something in those lines tell me something, that you have figured out most of it. The rest of course is what you have written ;) chill and enjoy the ride.

3/12/05 4:48 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

Everyone has their own stories, and every story, eventually, is JUST the same.

3/12/05 5:51 PM

 
Blogger inhas said...

I believe that the wet clay is being modelled by not by the person alone, there are hands on it tweaking it a little here and little there and all this may happen while you may be asleep too.
And before I even know it, I'll become my parents.
I do not know in what sense you wrote this line, but in some qualities i wish I could become just like my parents.

3/12/05 7:30 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[KD] I am enjoying the ride. It's just that I feel a little scared of falling off the roller coaster sometimes. Although it's really quite safe, people have been known to fall off. :)

[Phoenix] Why are they all JUST the same? My story is unique, as am I, I insist.

[Inhas] True, true. Little elves are working on my life.
Yes, I wish I was like my parents in many ways, but me will do too. :)

4/12/05 11:47 AM

 
Blogger The Reader said...

Must say, your 'spanking' new blog is coming up pretty good :)

4/12/05 1:06 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

Ah I'll explain that to you soon...but right now I've graver issues to contend.

@Aidoneus

O cmon! u just NEED smthng to take a dig dont u?
Just anything!!
:P

4/12/05 2:00 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[Phoenix] Miss Phoenix, why am I a frustrated nevel-gazer? I can call myself Robert Frust, but I do not give you the right to label me frustrated.
On second thoughts, I'll be an adult about this and let it go.
In all fairness, it sounds low but that's pretty much what I am. :)

[Saurabh] I take a bow.

[TLC] I know. Can't say I loved it, to be honest.

4/12/05 5:08 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

Oh gosh...
now names have become such an issue in blogosphere!

Sorry, I didnt know that was sounding offensive. It was meant to be funny in a cynical way. Afterall, thats what u call urself on your blog.
But, I'll change that..

[TLC]
Thanx maaannn...where would I be without u spying against me!!

4/12/05 5:32 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/12/05 5:33 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

P.S. here's the connotation i implied:

spankĀ·ing ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spngkng)
adj.
Informal. Exceptional of its kind; remarkable.
Brisk and fresh: a spanking breeze.

And the one Saurabh was talkin about..

n.A number of slaps on the buttocks delivered in rapid succession, as for punishment.




I must confess I never thought that way.
Trust Aidoneus to point such things!!
But I'm sorry if that sounded demeaning in anyway.

4/12/05 5:39 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[Phoenix] Yes, it did sound demeaning, you insensitive new-age woman, and I am most hurt. I hold you responsible for my inability to concentrate on the eve of a potentially life-changing examination.
Hee hee, did you really not know the second meaning? I can't believe it. :o

4/12/05 8:08 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/12/05 8:58 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

I didnt even know I was a new-age woman who could be so powerful that she cd destroy lives by mere nomenclature.
well in case u forgot that was on my blog afterall...i can do wat i like there.i knew the meaning, just didnt think that way. i was actually tryin to compliment this page.
And now, if u;d have noticed, it's down to a more sedate name.
hope this isn't conceived as another attack.
Even if it is, that's only routine.

If u expect I'll add "I bow to thee"
u r mistaken.
I'm supposed to be demeaning.
Doubly cynically yours,
Phoenix

PS sorry for the las-now-deleted comment.
i was slightly sleepy, and messed up two comments and a conversation so that nthn made sense.
No, I'm not drunk today.

4/12/05 10:07 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[Phoenix] Phoenix, Phoenix, I was only joking. I can say sorry yet again but you must try to understand I'm only joking most of the time.
Don't get pissed at everything. Of course I know you knew, and yes you are indeed a new age woman who might one day possess the power to make or break.
There might come a time when I might, heaven forbid, say something offensive or demeaning, and I mean really so, not like the juvenile jokes that you take offense to, and it is that time that you must save all your pissing off for.
Till then, just chill, chill, just chill! Take the jokes in your stride and don't become paranoid about being under seige.

4/12/05 11:58 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

**sigh**

My mistake!
I forgot to add the "customary smiley" this time round, supposedly the only proof left in this whole-wide world that i was only kidding as well baba...
Why do u even think itni si baat pe I'll take an offense!!
*sigh*
I think i said i was sleepy, but i know that just doesnt justify my lack of sens of humour, that even u, veteran of oblique statements, cdnt make out.

Arey baba I know u were joking( i had a good laugh) and I tried-n-failed to reply in the same vain.(i thought at lst the "cynically urs" wd establish the connection that it was NOT serious.
I think I really will trun paranoid now. maybe i shd stop commenting forever.

As for being offended by you, dont be stupid pls.How can I be offended at non-issues like this! To be frank, I've only been offended twice by anything u said, and one of even those u dont know about.
And pls never say sorry. It's begin to sound embarassing to me.

I hope there's peace now:)

PS I swear I'll never make an oblique comment here again.
And this time I mean it:I BOW TO THEE.

5/12/05 1:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Do dil mil rahe hain,do dil mil rahe hain magar ladte ladte
sab ko ho rahi hai,haan sab ko ho rahi hai khabar,padte padte'

5/12/05 2:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the whole song applies.Once just listen it for me and substitute the lyrics at apt places.

5/12/05 2:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the bottle is new, but the wine is old, its vintage infact. Hence the taste. i will just say that it is really well written because there really isnt any more to say.

5/12/05 3:36 AM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[Phoenix] Peace. Sorry for the two times. Bygones be bygones?

[Anonymous] Good one. I'd have considerd myself lucky to have thought of this if this was someone else's blog. :)

[Shivam] Thanks. The idea, however, was to change the wine a little now that the bottle has been changed. I thought I was writing somewhat differently in this blog, but perhaps the inflexion point cane towards the later stages of the old blog itself.

5/12/05 9:20 AM

 
Blogger The Reader said...

I love it when an innocuous comment can throw people headlong in a justification tussle :D

5/12/05 11:51 AM

 
Blogger The Reader said...

Also, Shalabh Gupta - STOP MAKING GAY PASSES AT ME. Ref: the comment you left at Phoenix's blog.

5/12/05 11:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hey.Could have left my name but didnt want to annoy the other party concerned.Apparently have done it 1-2 times already.
I like when ppl take comments sportingly.

5/12/05 3:54 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[Aidoneus] You wish.

[Anonymous] You too? So do I.

5/12/05 4:42 PM

 
Blogger N David said...

HELLO! NEW POST..

3/1/06 4:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers