Thursday, December 01, 2005

Finally!

I have done it!

Welcome to my new blog.

I owe an explanation regarding the title, the delay, the urgency and the execution of this long-drawn plan to emigrate from rediff, and to blogspot.

The title first.
Credit must go to my friend Advait for suggesting this name. Many years ago (in our second year) he wrote a limerick that he signed off with the name Robert Frust, and mailed it to the IITD CS batch of 2003 Yahoo group. The limerick was nice, but what stayed with me was the brilliant name.

This was around the time I discovered the wonders of DC++, having recently become the proud owner of my own computer and room. After spending a little while on DC under the pseudonym that I have reverted back to today, I became, to denizens of DC, 'robertfrust'. Some of you might have noticed with envy or astonishment as I climbed the charts displaying GB's shared. I now stand at a respectable 39 odd GBs, having left my days of having had to share my C: drive and hidden files to avoid the humiliation of DC treating me like a parasite who salivated at the thought of terabytes of goodies while he shared a measly 4-5 GBs (phew! that was a long sentence) long behind.

Anyway, robertfrust served DC long and well, and it's time now for the old identity to earn its keep.

Coming back to the issue at hand, I loved the name and didn't forget it thanks to its presence on DC, which I religiously access at least a couple of time a day.

All this time, I was happily settled on rediffblogs. I even wrote an impulsive post on how much blogspot sucked compared with rediff when I once went to sleep waiting for blogspot to accept my comment.

But that was before I was introduced to the wonders of proxy servers that I, as a privileged member of that most envied and most reviled (sometimes by their own) class of future Computer Scientists and Engineers being readied in the crucible that IIT Delhi specially reserves for the best of the bloody best (another obscenely long sentence, I'll soon write a post on my inability to form short sentences that I can keep track of), can access.
(Digression: That is all I wanted to say - that I have an account that I use to access my department's proxy servers because I can, but look at the monstrosity that I gave birth to instead.)

Anyway, for several reasons which I shall discuss below, I grew first disillusioned, and then irritated with rediffblogs. And so the search for a blogspot account began.
Why blogspot? Because almost everybody else is there, that's why. And because Google is the future. And because it looks good. And because of those cool look-at-the-movies-I-watch-and-books-I-read features that I have seen on many a blogspot blog side panel. I too will impress you in the coming days with my eclectic taste in books and movies, but for that I'll have to enlist the help of some of my computer-savvy friends, so that will take some time. Don't mind.
(Quick query: what is the past tense of 'mind'? Is it 'minded'? It's surely not 'mound'.)

So I was searching blogspot for a cool url, and I acquired bumbledrone.blogspot.com. It might seem a trifle weird (it's not even a word, it's not even two words), but I had my reasons, and reasons I then believed were good ones.

You see, my name 'shalabh' means 'bumblebee' in Sanskrit/Hindi. It could also be used by Sanskrit scholars for describing many less appealing members of the insect family, but I prefer to believe my parents who claim it means just the bumblebee. Hence the 'bumble'.

Now, I thought the bee is female (at least in Hindi, it's a she, what's more, it's a fly - madhumakhi), so bumblebee.blogspot.com might play unwilling host to a lot of unwanted male visitors who expect a strong, independent, opinionated girl-woman behind my blog.
Hence, the 'drone'. Also, I know I bore a lot of people, I often go on and on in spite of clear indications that my audience isn't listening; in other words, I sometimes drone.

So I decided I'd start posting on bumbledrone.b.c.

Except that I didn't. I couldn't. It lacked bite. It lacked meaning. It lacked easy recall. It was a clumsy non-name. It lacked the X-factor. I didn't like it, but I didn't admit it to myself.

Then the majors arrived. And along with the majors came a flood of ideas for new posts. And I just knew that I had to shift soon. The window of opportunity was open. I could either leap through it, or be shut out forever.

I took a walk with Vibhor. We went up to the Vishwakarma Building roof. He told me Vishwakarma was the God of architecture and construction. He told me some cool questions he had come up with (we're both wannabe quizzing studs). We decided we'd make a quiz totally devoted to shady questions together, possibly next semester, maybe in Cranium, maybe later. He also told me 'dumbledore' meant 'shalabh'. Being a Harry Potter superfan, I was kicked.

Only the previous day, Nithin had told me how he had enjoyed a long conversation with a woman who was doing her PhD in the Humanities Department on, hold your breath, Harry Potter! How cool is that? I was instantly overjoyed.
So finding out that the only wizard Voldy's afraid of shares a connection with me made my day.

As I was sitting on Nitin's computer the next day, I navigated to blogspot.com, with the intention of acquiring dumbledore.blogspot.com, and I was about to enter my choice when it suddenly came to me like a flash of inspiration that comes but rarely... my inward eye flashed neon - ROBERTFRUST - and with trembling fingers I typed in robertfrust as my desired url, and eureka! I got it!

The name, of course, is apt if you know me. I write and like poetry, and I'm often unreasonably and inexplicably frustrated with life.

Now, the urgency.
I complained about blogspot on rediff. And now I shall gripe about rediff on blogspot.
Sweet something. Irony? Perhaps.

I saw a movie once - Reality Bites, starring the most famous shoplifter in history and Sanjay Gupta's idol's muse's ex-husband - in which the shoplifter is asked to define irony, quickly. She's zapped. As the elevator doors close on the interviewer she mumbles that she can identify irony when she sees it, but oops, no marks for identification sweetie - you're not hired.
Ever since I have wondered whether I know irony when I see it, and whether I can define it. I've even asked people who look like they are ironic all the time to explain it to me, but I've either been disappointed or a very poor student. I'm starting to get used to both in a lot of other aspects of life as well, but that's beside the point here.

I was content with rediffblogs for a long time, mainly because rediff shares my philosophy of keeping things as simple and uncluttered as possible, esp. in matters to do with Compuerji.
Digression: Hope the Big B gets well soon. I got a shock in the morning when I saw his post-operation photo with the sheet upto his face. I thought he was dead, and I genuinely felt very unhappy for a few seconds. I never realized I liked him so much.
But then my honeymoon started to end.

I couldn't import that cool movies and books feature on my rediffblog.
I had trouble inserting links in posts.
The blog template isn't one-tenth as readable as that which hosts much less read-worthy posts on blogspot. Every T, D and H writes a bloody post and it all looks so beautiful. The classy white page, the lovely font, the perfectly chosen colours...
Lastly and fatally, you can't leave lines or even start a new paragraph in the comments. If you wish to reply to several comments, you go along with the ugly rediff way of bunching them all together. If you, or someone else, writes a poem, sorry, rediff decrees that you must read it in one unbroken line.
And today I couldn't even edit a comment. I had to copy it onto notepad, edit it, delete the original comment, and then comment again.

I stuck with rediff when all my friends were on blogspot. I thought they'd learn and the loyals like me would be rewarded for their faith.

But sadly, I was wrong. Rediff did no such thing. They didn't make the slightest effort to keep me from crossing over. They allowed me to be converted.

So I'm leaving rediff, but with heavy footsteps. It's too late now, but I'd still like them to do well.
Good luck, and goodbye rediff.

I extolled the virtues of rediffmail sometime ago too, but I've left that as well for gmail.
And now I've said goodbye to yet another rediff offering that rediff could not bother to update in the face of competition in favour of a company that is out there, doing it.
And it's beating Microsoft at its game.
True, it is starting to acquire Microsoft-dimensions, but then a duopoly is preferable to a monopoly, isn't it?
It is no more David, it has now metamorphosed into Google-iath.
It's become a fight between equals, and it's fun to watch.
I love Windows and I love Google, so I wish them both the best.

Meanwhile, I have the best seat of them all, and I'm not letting go of this one.

I've chosen blogspotting.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This definitely looks better than Rediffblogs. And the name's clever. Though I think I have sen it elsewhere (who cares?) Was that your longest post ever? And a sign of things to come? I haven't seen the DMS building yet. A shade quiz sounds fun, as long as it is done intentionally.

1/12/05 7:32 PM

 
Blogger N David said...

So u are being commented from left and right. Which is probably an indication of the things to come.

Welcome to the club.. ;)

BTW: Wonderful first post

1/12/05 7:32 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[TLC] Thanks.

[Arnav] Yes, it was easily my longest post. The DMS building is definitely worth an exploration.
And the shade quiz will happen, I already have a few ideas.

[KD] Thanks again.

1/12/05 7:49 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

Before I congratulate you on FINALLY moving on to blogspot, and finally getting the time to post, let me make two complaints:

1.I'm angry that I get to know sooo late. Being the most dedicated commentor on Shalabh Gupta's Blog v1.0, I thought I deserved to get the url early. I'd have stalked it till u came up with the post.:P

2. This one's nt realle a complaint, but I'm just a trifle disappointed with ur choice of blog URL. As in it's definitely good, but u know wat, once I was speculating as to what u cd choose, and this being ur DC++ nick(brilliant, n dont mind but suits u too:P) it was the first name that came to my mind.
So perhaps I was expecting smthng more intellectually stimulating, though not bumbledrone pls..it kinda turns one off.
anyway,finally: congratulations...

[this is just the opening pgh of wat i want to comment..but it's become so long i think i'll make another comment...]

kya karein comment has to be proportionate to the post, and the time spent in reading it(i have read this thrice!!!
Sorry:P

1/12/05 8:08 PM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

OK now for part 2:
:D

1.This post is obscenely long. And since I have read it so religiously leaving all my textbooks aside, u have no right after today to blame me for the length of my posts:P
:D:D

2.The title is decent, though not entirely new.
one suggestion: make it italicised atlst. complete unformatting destroys is impact. put html tags in the title in ur settings!

3.i've already tol u about my view on choice of'robertfrust;...just one thing i remembered...when i got to know for the first time it was ur nick, and i hardly knew u then,,,my first reaction was, "see this proves it..everybody in shiva calls themselves the most frustrated person on earth!"
i wasnt entirely right, but ..watever!

4. i have read ur old post in which u've praised rediff vs blogger, esp for the comments page thing.
blogger's improved by leaps and bounds, and blogger offers one a lot more freedom.
but dnt criticise rediff so much.
agreed it was a problem but...

even i have two blogs on rediff, and i like them for their simplicity,though nt functionality.

5.i dont mind ur long sentences...waitin for that post too;) But sorry am in a real hurry abhi, otherwise wd have counted the words for u:P

unrelated, but i realised i wrote some particularly long sentences in hukka major. one was i guess almost a pg long.

6. pls hold a shade quiz all of u.
i agree with arnav. if intentional, it's fun.

7.rediffmail's improved though.

8. i hated commenting in rediff. (nt that i didnt) even those verse comments got destroyed, if u remember:(

9.ok, one more thing..edit this template a bit , and soon. at lst delete the test post, and do yup the links. i like good lookin blogs:D

10. sorry am in atearing hurry...some ppl r waitin to b taught a few courses which even i dont kmow. so have to go out in this chill!!!!

but meanwhile, nice to see ur new blog.
hope u r not too pissed with these obscenely long comments.
just had to match with ur post.
hope u r still reading.;)
ciao.

1/12/05 8:24 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[Phoenix]
1)Of course, I'm still reading.

2)I can't reply to your comments point-wise, because:
a)I'm exhausted with the blogging today and
b)I'm not as energetic as you. :)

3)The template etc will be taken care of soon, but probably not very soon.

4)I don't mind long comments at all.

5)I didn't get the part about the italicising. What shd I put in italics - the blog title?

6)DO YOU MEAN TO SAY MY BLOG IS UGLY? You've heard the story about every mother believing her baby is the prettiest, haven't you?

7)Rediff I shall continue to hate, notwithstanding your twin endorsement.

8)"just had to match with ur post"
Why Phoenix, why?

1/12/05 8:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have an inkling that something nice and great is to start from here. and congrats for sorting out that dilemma of choosing a name for your blog. co-incidentally this is also my first comment on blogspot or any blog for that matter.hope tocontinue with this after majors in a major way..bbye and best wishes.

1/12/05 8:59 PM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[Sanket] Thank you. I'm sure something nice and great is going to start for you after the majors. It's my turn to welcome you to the blogsphere.

[Pradyot] Thanks for dropping by. Also for the welcome.
Hope to see more of you.

1/12/05 9:42 PM

 
Blogger The Reader said...

Holy fuck ! You were in love with Rediff or something kya? I mean, such a long justification on why you moved on. It almost sounds like one of those relationship ending monologues. The idea kind of escapes my head. But then again there are not many things that catch my eye either.

Liked the blog url though :)

1/12/05 10:32 PM

 
Blogger AP said...

*does his victory dance*

1/12/05 10:43 PM

 
Blogger inhas said...

congrats!!! now keep them coming.....

2/12/05 12:37 AM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

1.I take that as a compliment. Yes, I have loads of energy. Even after a three hour AML tutorial that i just gave:P

2.but u shd reply to comments na...

3.yes i meant the blog title..
"bent....."etc..put that in italics.

4.i cant dare say that ur blog is ugly or smthng:P
i just meant it can easily look so much better, and functional too.

5. i felt i had to match ur post length to sorta gratify the obvious effort u took in writng it, i;m sure in more than one sittings...i thought it'd feel not-too-bad to see a comment that showed everything u'd written was read, and understood...almost an acknowledgement.

but if u dont like it, no probs...wont do it aage se. one line comments are easier for me too.
atlst they wont make me skip my dinner....

2/12/05 12:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you ARE a QC stud .

2/12/05 1:15 AM

 
Blogger Robert Frust said...

[inhas, anjul, aidoneus] Thanks *takes a bow*.

[Phoenix] Don't be childish. I reiterate, your comments are most welcome. I meant my reply to your comments as a joke.
I appreciate that you went through the post, understood it all, and took the trouble of replying comprehensively.
As you might have noticed, I've followed many of your suggestions, which would have taken a lot more time owing to my laziness had it not been for your advice.
I would like that you keep visiting my blog (though not at the cost of your dinner), short comments, long comments or no comments at all.

2/12/05 1:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have read a part of it. Read the next part in a few minutes. Change is always refreshing. You seem to have an obscene amount of time at your hands right now. which is a good thing for people like me. who might not always agree with what you say. but still enjoy reading your commentary. I might be the only one in that category. possibly. notice the use of full stops. You can use them too. damn the grammar. But changing from the prof to the frust? on second thoughts, they might be synonyms.

2/12/05 1:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so Mr. Dumbledore, can you please tell all us HP fans what was the real meaning of your last words, "Please, Severus..".
Yes, Big B does look like a poor old man right now. I think everyone likes him. I have always thought that in an ideal world they would have hired BigB to play Dum B.

2/12/05 1:30 AM

 
Blogger Phoenix said...

thank u.
it's a good change to read a non-complex comment/reply to u.

lolz@shivam's line:prof and frust are synonymous.

yes i forgot,u and vibhor ARE QC studs..wta's the wannabe for?:P

yes i noticed the changes. thanx for linking.
but why did u change the title? its nt good.and, now, the subtitle doesnt look to good with it.lacks the ...X-factor:P

and i can be childish, fr i am kiddo:D

one more thing, gosh, 19 comments in 5 hours...man, this is wat is called a 'flying start

As Sahni said, now just keep them coming.
If u didnt know, blogspot's rule is to pot often. Indolence has to be abandoned with the 'Bhoot':D

2/12/05 1:45 AM

 
Blogger thelostcause said...

Rediff must be shedding tears.
Welcome Aboard!

2/12/05 2:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@arnav

The name Robert frust may have come from the english poet, Robert Frost. Especially when you talk about the limericks. Search on google, many links.

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/frost/frost.htm

Hmmmm so many comments awesome mate.

4/12/05 1:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Personal Blogs by Indian Bloggers